Chronic Disease Self Management Education
Learn to live well with a chronic illness. These small group workshops meet approximately two hours, once a week, for six weeks. Well-trained volunteers, most of whom have a chronic condition themselves, lead the workshops. There is no charge for these workshops.
The workshops are for any individual, of any age, who can say yes to one or more of the following statements:
- I experience pain and/or fatigue on a regular basis.
- I have noticed it is more difficult to be physically active.
- I have a hard time getting a good night’s sleep.
- I am sometimes frustrated with my physician or my insurance company.
- I feel sad or under the weather frequently.
- I want daily life to be a little easier.
- I have goals I never seem to make progress on.
- I don’t think other people really hear me.
- I care for someone with a chronic illness.
By participating in these workshops, you will learn how to accomplish goals by breaking them down into small, do-able tasks. You will discover how to make daily tasks easier and practice relaxation and stress reduction techniques. You will learn healthy communication skills to use with friends, family, and health care providers. Discussions are held about how to take care of yourself between doctor’s visits. This is also an opportunity to develop relationships with peers – finding support and assistance. Finally, you can become more confident and self-empowered.
For more information, send an email to or contact Bonnie Vermillion at 540-547-4824.